Thread: Shawnee NF Lake Glendale Campground

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Joe's Avatar

Shawnee NF Lake Glendale Campground

Just wanted to share this if you are looking for a new place to camp...

In April a buddy and I stayed at Lake Glendale Campground in the Shawnee NF (Pope County) for our annual spring turkey hunting trip. This campground is run by the US Forest Service. I was impressed this place. The campground is very nice, clean, and surrounds a very beautiful lake. There are a few lake front campspots. They have both electric/water hookups and primitive campsites...all of which have a firepit with grill and a nice picnic table. They have 2 shower houses...one is newer and very nice...both were very clean. It is pretty cheap...$10/night primitive and $15/night electric.

We fished the lake one evening (electric motors only) and caught some nice bluegill, crappie, and redear...enough for a fish fry at camp. Also caught a bunch of bass...one about 3 lbs. Not bad for about 3 hours fishing.

It is a great place to do a hunting/fishing trip...there is tons of public hunting land around and alot of water to fish nearby besides Lake Glendale. Also, a great place for family camping. Lots of room for bike riding, hiking, etc. In close proximity to Garden of the Gods, Dixon Springs State Park, and lots of horseback riding too.

Lake Glendale Campground is off highway 145 about 2 mi north of the intersection of highway 146 in Pope county...almost directly in between Vienna, IL and Golconda, IL.

Joe H.

TOP POSTER / Veteran SILO Member BAM's Avatar
    Love Lake Glendale Campground.I don't think alot of people know about it or they didn't until now! lol but anyway yea, nice lake, nice shower house, def class a camping......we got a water campground and it was nice......the water is also clear over at the beach so you can see what you are swimming in! and they rent out stuff at the concessions........
    also the chocolate factory is nice...small but a little nice place to visit and there is a small grocery store in town and a mickey ds not far......

There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest achieve the second~~

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Luc24's Avatar
    (I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing), sounds like a nice spot. The fact it has showers is a plus so now I can drag the young lady with me. HAHA

TOP POSTER / Veteran SILO Member BAM's Avatar
    Very true.....I only go if there is a shower!!! If Im correct I think it is the only place at shawnee that has a shower house.......we went on easter and there was only like 3 campers in there......and the hosts people are really nice!

There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest achieve the second~~

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Luc24's Avatar
    Shower! who needs a shower when your camping. Just take some soap and jump in the water, hahaha. Use to do it all the time when I would go backpacking up in the sierras in california. I would smell so good I never had a problem with bears stealing my food.

Official SILO Sponsor lifestudent55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc24 View Post
    Shower! who needs a shower when your camping. Just take some soap and jump in the water, hahaha. Use to do it all the time when I would go backpacking up in the sierras in california. I would smell so good I never had a problem with bears stealing my food.
    Ah yes, but like you said, the young lady won't go with you if she can't have her showers.

We need to pick up a little boat for lakes with motor restrictions. That sounds like a great place to camp. Did you take any pics?
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived."
    H. D. Thoreau
    Walden

------

James Lindley's shop
    Inner Health, Outer Beauty

NOOB Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Anybody know how the turkey numbers are around this Glendale Lake? I have a Pope County tag as I'll be down there working, inspecting post offices. This location is pretty central to my facilities. Thanks.

Turkeys everywhere, especially east of the lake which is mostly SNF. Get a topo and check it out...

NOOB Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    I'll probably start there because I can hit the shower and head to work directly after a hunt. I wish HuntingGPSMaps had Illinois. It would make learning spots like this easy. Got it for Iowa and works great.

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting HIGHCOUNTRY's Avatar
    Gonna have to check it out. I pickup my new fifthwheel Monday...