Thread: oak wood bottoms

oak wood bottoms

Hello all,

I keep hearing alot about this place but have no idea what or where its is. Could someone please be so kind as to tell me alittle about it.. Thanks

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Bigduke's Avatar
    ILLINOIS Land of Less Freedom and more TAXES!
    Well it's off Il rte 3 just before Grand Tower. What ya want to know about it?

Besides the need to wear snake chaps...
    NIKON D60

The Second Amendment Has Absolutely Nothing To Do With Hunting!

well i heard it was good hunting but ive never been there or even how to get to it... I live in belleville trying to find some good hunging ground.

What are you planning on hunting?

How long you lived in Belleville?

Here's a link to the IDNR 08-09 Hunting Digest, with all the hunting areas. It will take a minute or so if you down load the pdf version.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/Digest/
    NIKON D60

Big

Ive lived here for about 11 years im wanting to bow hunt deer. and thanks for the link

Top Poster Charter Member gretchensteele's Avatar
    let me just say this.. currently the skeeters are about the size of rock buzzards.. attack in swarms....and consider every conceivable insect repellent a mere pre dinner cocktail..
    they are horrid...be prepared for them.

“If meetings could kill invasive species, they’d all be dead by now!”
    – unknown government biologist

Steele Photo Services

Walkin With the Wild Woman

Pink Whistle Society

I've hunted there quite a bit in the past. I think it was maintained by the USFWS. Either way the area has been pretty much abandoned of maintenance.
    Illinois is closing parks and such left and right. Turkey bayou still has a camp ground but they removed the bathrooms that were there. Some friends of mine have actually hauled in rock and kept the grass mowed and planted a bunch of trees.

USE to have the best duck hunting in ILLinois. Flooded green timber/pin oaks in the oakwood bottoms. I'm not sure if they still flood it. The levee is always in need of repair from washouts so it is usually closed to vehicles. So we're talking long LONG walks.

You can camp at Turkey Bayou and there's a boat launch to the big muddy near it. A lot of folks camp there during deer season.

Here's a map I found: http://illinois.hometownlocator.com/...%20bottoms.cfm
    Last edited by Bigduke; 10-20-2008 at 21:05.
    NIKON D60

thanks for the help. pretty sad what this state has gone to. Good thing we pay all the money for those permits.. good to see money going where it belongs...lmao

Well i got one at washington county cons. Guess maybe ill just keep going there really wanted somthing by the house but doesnt look like anything guess maybe peabody but havent scouted that at all....

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting cuiuc28's Avatar
    I will be hunting here in shotgun season this year. I hunted shotgun two years ago at this spot and saw some deer. This spot was real good until the big flood came through and it seems to be getting better. This is one of those places you have go through some slop to get to the good stuff.
    The worst day in the field is better than the best day at work.