Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Coyote caliber?

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting general3380's Avatar

Best Coyote caliber?

I'm thinking about buying a varmint rifle soon and was wondering everybody's opinion on the best Coyote caliber? I'm torn between .22-250 and .223 right now. Also anybody know the best value varmint gun? thanks!

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Matlock's Avatar
    I know that SAVAGE makes great guns at affordable prices . 22-250 is a great yote caliber and probably cheaper than the 223 . If your looking for a good all around caliber .243 is small enough for varmits and just big enough for deer IMO.

I have a 222, but if I could do it over would get a 223
    Go outside!
    http://www.siloutdoors.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1&dateline=1225123544

“This is my story,’’ he said. “I tell you: Know who God is. That is the first thing. Then you learn how to treat people. Because God is love. Then you won’t go around mistreating people.’’

Homer Williams (A 100 year old squirrel hunter and lifetime outdoorsman.)

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    If I were to purchase new again I would choose either .22-250 or .204.
    My gun safe looks like a bag for golf clubs. I have one for each purpose. If money is a problem then you might want to look into a multi-purpose of each gun. Like 12 ga 3" shotgun, .243 High power rifle, .357 magnum revolver and a .22 rifle. If money is no object then I recommend buying a gun just for coyote hunting and try not to get a gun that is good for everything because you have to sacrifice to get it to work.
    “Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” –Zenna Schaffer

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting xOZx's Avatar
    Compare the distance/trajectory of the .223 vs the 22-250. I was looking into this a while back and I belive the downrange of the .223 was better and you have more selection of ammo as well.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xOZx View Post
    Compare the distance/trajectory of the .223 vs the 22-250. I was looking into this a while back and I belive the downrange of the .223 was better and you have more selection of ammo as well.
    I am not sure how the downrange is better for the .223.

The .223 has a bullet of .223 inches diameter and the .22-250 has a bullet of .220 diameter. The bullet sizes are virtually identical. The case is a huge difference.

The 223 case holds much less powder than the .22-250 so the pressures are less.

Using physics - F=ma so or translated F/m = a.
    Force is PSI across the cross sectional profile or .223 vs .220 diameter.
    The acceration of the .22-250 is greater than the .223.

.223 ave muzzlevelocity is 3200 fps
    .22-250 ave muzzle velocity is 3600 fps

The advantage the .223 has is that less powder and smaller case means its is less expensive to manufacture and you can carry more rounds in your pocket and that is great if your in the military and need to carry 2000 rounds with you.

http://www.pacinfo.com/~dropinsator/chart1.htm#223%20Rem
    Please inform me how .223 is better downrange than .22-250?
    “Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” –Zenna Schaffer

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Quote Originally Posted by Debunk View Post
    I am not sure how the downrange is better for the .223.

The .223 has a bullet of .223 inches diameter and the .22-250 has a bullet of .220 diameter. The bullet sizes are virtually identical. The case is a huge difference.

The 223 case holds much less powder than the .22-250 so the pressures are less.

Using physics - F=ma so or translated F/m = a.
    Force is PSI across the cross sectional profile or .223 vs .220 diameter.
    The acceration of the .22-250 is greater than the .223.

.223 ave muzzlevelocity is 3200 fps
    .22-250 ave muzzle velocity is 3600 fps

The advantage the .223 has is that less powder and smaller case means its is less expensive to manufacture and you can carry more rounds in your pocket and that is great if your in the military and need to carry 2000 rounds with you.

http://www.pacinfo.com/~dropinsator/chart1.htm#223%20Rem
    Please inform me how .223 is better downrange than .22-250?
    Bullets are the same size (.224"), pressures are nearly the same...the 22-250 is more $$, but is faster and all that entails. It is better if you are gonna handload, for sure, may lose a bit of luster if you just plan on buying factory loads...better selection with 223. But there is no sense in having a good rifle if you aren't gonna handload for it IMO...

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Love my .223 and I love the sound of the bullet hitting the yote at 200 plus yards. Even better when the yote starts yelping calling in more yotes for target ptractice. Best night last year my freind and I smoked 7 yotes both using AR's. .22-.250 is also a great gun but I have gotten use to my .223 and have no desire to shoot anything else. Plus the 19 back-up rounds make open feild shooting a blast!
    Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting wolfgang's Avatar
    Not the best, but most multi functional, .270 Winchester. If you get 100gr bullets and load them hot there is almost no drop at 200 yards, which is sufficent for most areas in SILO.

I would probably go for .223 Remington since the ammunition is so plentiful and in an AR-15 with decent groups at 200-300 yards you could have a second shot ready for that coyote's friends instantly without having to pull your eye off the scope much if any.

Also, .357 Magnum for during deer season since with a decent 6" barrel revolver your accuracy is pretty good for the range a coyote would come into when it doesn't see you, could have killed three last year.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Birdhunter1's Avatar
    South of Murphysboro in a place called Birdville!
    I have heard great things about the .204 in terms of accuracy and dropping them dead on the spot. Personally I like the .243, plenty enough energy if you want to get into long range stuff at 500 yards and accurate to boot!

Honestly though Mr. Coyote is never going to do his death dance saying
    glad that was only a XXX caliber and not a: .204, 223, 222, .22-250, .243, .308 I think you get the idea. If I was setting up another varmint gun it would be in one of these calibers.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms belong on a grocery list, not a government agenda!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast