Thread: Any Black Bear sightings in Southern IL?

Any Black Bear sightings in Southern IL?

Just wondering?

It would seem logical that if Missouri has them in numbers, that a few have swam the Mississippi and set up camp in Southern Illinois.

thanks

Well if the armadillos can make it across, and they shoot cougars in Chitown, I suppose a bear could show up.

I WILL NOT chase a bear for a picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Well if the armadillos can make it across, and they shoot cougars in Chitown, I suppose a bear could show up.

I WILL NOT chase a bear for a picture though.
    Sissy !

LOL, not if its a sow with cubs you mean, right ?

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting xOZx's Avatar
    My understanding is that a few bear have tried...but they were chased back by the cougars...and bears do not eat armadillos.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    I have the solution to why bears can't make it across the river but the cougars and armadillos do. (haha)

Assuming none of them swim across the Mississippi river then they have only 2 options.

1. Cross the river when it is frozen. In fact the Mississippi has frozen over according to sites on the internet (I have not seen if froze over but appearently there are records before my time that it has). Now why did the bear not make it but the cougar and the armadillo did. Thats because the Bear was in hibernation during the months the river was frozen.

2. Cross the river the same way humans do by

A. Ferry
    Again the Bear can't get across - no human would let the Bear on the ferry.

B. Bridge.
    Again the Bear can't get across since he to wide to walk on the shoulder without getting hit by a car.

Maybe cougars make nicer house pets than Bears? At least until the cougar get to 100lbs.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket RoninSI's Avatar
    I did read an article about camp Ondesonk. Where they said, One of the bears that they had, had come from Salem and was cought while digging in trash cans.

But for the life of me I can't remember what kind of bear it was. It's been too long ago..............

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    [QUOTE=RoninSI;38785] they said, One of the bears that they had, had come from Salem QUOTE]

Salem in what state?

Quote Originally Posted by RoninSI View Post
    I did read an article about camp Ondesonk. Where they said, One of the bears that they had, had come from Salem and was cought while digging in trash cans.

But for the life of me I can't remember what kind of bear it was. It's been too long ago..............

It was a Black Bear and his name was Tommy. He got loose from time to time and roamed the surrounding woodlands. Tommy had a sweet tooth though and was always lured back with candy bars. He died of old age with bad teeth.

See the Sept. 3 addition of the union County Gazette Democrat. Bear sighted last week by two hikers in the Kaolin Pits area of Union County. Article indicated that they got within 30 feet of the animal and that it was 3 to 4 feet tall. (Am assuming at the shoulder).

Thought they would eventually make it across river but not this soon.