Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermist Suggestions

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Zingnut's Avatar

Taxidermist Suggestions

Wondering who you would recommend as one of the best taxidermists in the area and what the going rates on the deer mounts.

Name
    City
    Phone #
    Price
    Rating 1-5 (5 being the highest)

Thanks Guys/Gals

I have used Steve Lies at Whitetails and Waterfowl in Murphysboro, IL and found the mounts to be awesome, price is high at $450.00, and the bad part is we are still waiting for a deer from last Dec 3rd, to get finished. Number 618-687-2652. I would rate them a 4 and deductions come from the time line from check in to completion.

~Jeff

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Full Draw's Avatar
    Zimmermans taxadermy
    Millstadt, Il
    618-476-1492
    Around $350
    He did a great job, very pleased. 4.5 out of 5

S & S Taxadermy
    Columbia, Il
    not sure number and dont care
    Around $350
    Poor Job. I have seen worse but out of all mounts I have seen this is by far not the best. Poor quality, poor detail and I thought the guy was a jerk too. I do not know if I would take a mount there for free. 1 out of 5

Tracy Hartman out of Freeburg was the best one I have dealt with. He did an amazing mount, great detail, good price, and a hellofa guy. Unfortunately Tracy is no longer with us.
    Oh, Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side, my friend
    And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long

~Ted Nugent - "Fred Bear"

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting fireduck's Avatar
    I had some birds done by Zimmer 10 years ago and I would not recomend him for birds. Just seen a lot better. Dont know about his deer.
    I second the recomendation of Tracey Hartman "For deer only taxidermy". I had one done by him in 1995. I would go back if he didnt pass.

Whitetail and Waterfowl has to be the best around. Remember you get what you pay for. Be patient and you will have it for years to enjoy.
    My father-in-law do the wood work for them. So ask for a plack for you deer or a base for a bird.

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Brad's Avatar
    ive seen some done by Randy Rettinghouse outside New Athens and he does a great job. the price isnt too bad i think he's around 300$ - 350$ and the detail is great and i would give him a 4.5 to 5 for sure.

Kempfer Taxidermy out of Hoyleton - does just about anything and does a great job! Would recommend him to anyone!

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket huntrz's Avatar

Liags

L I A G S !
    Tracy had that on his license plate, it stood for
    "Life is a Gonzo Safari"

I knew Tracy well, Great guy! he was a Huge Nuge fan!
    Tracy & I met Uncle Ted backstage at a (I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing) Yankees concert back in about '95, as a matter of fact Tracy & I were together several times backstage at Ted's concerts...............

one of Tracy's favorite sayings before he did something completely outrageous was "Hey!, Do This!" then he would swallow a handfull of minnows or something equally crazy, of course we would all follow doing the same!!!

I have 6 deer heads, 1 squirrel & a Yote done by Tracy, including mine & my wife's first bowkills, they're all pretty (I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing) special to us.

somewhere I have a pic of Tracy withhis first bowkill, I'll try to find it.
    LIAGS!

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Full Draw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
    L I A G S !
    Tracy had that on his license plate, it stood for
    "Life is a Gonzo Safari"

I knew Tracy well, Great guy! he was a Huge Nuge fan!
    Tracy & I met Uncle Ted backstage at a (I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing) Yankees concert back in about '95, as a matter of fact Tracy & I were together several times backstage at Ted's concerts...............

one of Tracy's favorite sayings before he did something completely outrageous was "Hey!, Do This!" then he would swallow a handfull of minnows or something equally crazy, of course we would all follow doing the same!!!

I have 6 deer heads, 1 squirrel & a Yote done by Tracy, including mine & my wife's first bowkills, they're all pretty (I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing)(I'm an idiot for swearing) special to us.

somewhere I have a pic of Tracy withhis first bowkill, I'll try to find it.
    LIAGS!
    That would be a cool picture to see. He did the mount on my first deer as well. (Bob S. butchered it for me.) Tracy really put his heart and sould in to both his work and hunting.
    Oh, Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side, my friend
    And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long

~Ted Nugent - "Fred Bear"

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    I use Showcase in Cape Girardeau, MO. Bruce is the taxidermist and it's his full time job. Had several deer done by him. Always a nice mount. I let him choose the mount cuase that's what he does. He always puts animal looking where it looks the best mounted. I believe he charges $475 now but well worth it.
    Showcase Taxidermy
    6830 State Hwy 74
    (573) 334-1548

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting BUCK STUFFER's Avatar
    I charge $400 ,make sure you look a their work before making a decision! Turn around time 8 to 12 months. Depends on work load coming in door. Lotta work goes in to a quality mount. Haven't had a disappointed client yet! And will do my best not to have one!
    IT'S A PASSION,OBSESSION THING.

Official SILO Sponsor Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting scott huschle's Avatar
    Jim Streiker
    Germantown, Il.
    618-765-2271
    $350-$450
    Rating 5

Jim does all my taxidermy deer, waterfowl, but deer is his main animal.He does some exceptionally good work, and he is very particular to detail.His turnaround is 8-12 months.
    He just retired so he now is full time on the taxidermy work.

Jim Hunsaker
    Hidalgo, Il.
    618-793-2631
    $450
    Rating 5

Lives locally, has a very nice studio to view all his mounts.Jim has won several awards with his mounts, and this is his full time job.He hasdone all my brother-in-laws deer and everyone of them was mounted the way the deer was looking when shot.He is very much also into detail.I believe his turnaround time is around8-12 months.
    Iíve always believed the real worth of handcrafted game call lies in its artistic qualities. No two handcrafted game calls are exactly alike, in sound or in appearance. Every call is a unique creation. So when you purchase a handcrafted game call, youíre not only getting a great sounding callóyouíre getting a one-of-a-kind piece of art.

http://www.downrivergamecalls.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast