Thread: sea bass or basa

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting heavy5256's Avatar

sea bass or basa

Brian had posted a tread about basa awhile back. I don't remember if it was brian or someone that post on his tread. Someone had mention that sometimes when you're eating out and order sea bass you might be getting basa instead of what you ordered. Well I'm a big fan of sea bass and I was in the meat department and they had basa so I bought a couple of pounds just to test this theory. The fillets where awesome looking. The fillets were this light pink color. When I was talking to the butcher I was telling him I wasn't a big fan of tilapia and what I had read in the post about the basa. He also likes the basa and said it was a lot more milder tasting than tilapia. I cooked it two different ways. The first time I cooked it I made it like blackened sea bass and it was great. The second time I just lightly bread and skillet fried it like a piece of crappy and it also was excellent. It's also very reasonably priced. (3.99 lb) 8 nice fillets for $8.00. I don't remember who said it taste like sea bass in that post, but thanks. If I hadn't read the post I would've most likely never tried it. It's now one of my favorite store bought fish. I'm a believer that you get it sub for sea bass when you eat out. I would suggest for you that haven't tried it yet give it a shot you won't be disappointed.
    Treat the earth well, it is not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children, we do not inherit it from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ( ancient Indian belief )

Official SILO Sponsor lifestudent55's Avatar
    Sounds good except there's a huge difference between crappy and crappie. Is it safe to assume you meant crappie?
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived."
    H. D. Thoreau
    Walden

------

James Lindley's shop
    Inner Health, Outer Beauty

Banned Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Basa is very good, so -was- Talapia when it first became popular- then?- China, big farms here with poor practices??? I don't have an explanation, but now almost all Tilapia tastes like crud.

We tried another fish here recently, but by gosh I can't remember the name- it was in-edible. (I'm wanting to say Skyy, or Ski?? But I don't know if that was it..)

If you can stand to spend a fair bit more and want to treat yourself- Baramundi- not crazy expensive, and you talk about something that is fantastic pan seared in lemon and butter, so much flavor and texture.

(Swai- stay clear of Swai- I would sooner eat the waxpaper it is wrapped in- not suitable for human or canine consumption..)
    Last edited by Brian B.; 02-12-2013 at 06:27.

Official SILO Sponsor lifestudent55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B. View Post
    Basa is very good, so -was- Talapia when it first became popular- then?- China, big farms here with poor practices??? I don't have an explanation, but now almost all Tilapia tastes like crud.
    I think you nailed it Brian. China has very low environmental standards, and it carries over into their fish farms. Check the country of origin. All fish mongers are required by federal law to have it posted. If it says China, get something else. Same with crawfish or any other fish or seafood.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived."
    H. D. Thoreau
    Walden

------

James Lindley's shop
    Inner Health, Outer Beauty

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting heavy5256's Avatar
    LIfe your right crappie. I'm lucky that's the only word that I messed up. I agree with Brian about when tilapia first hit here it was better. Seem like it was good one time and then the next it was strong tasting. I would start watching to see how much red meat was around the lateral line. That goes to what you were saying about china's poor farming practices. The basa I got came out of Vietnam. They had it label like life said.
    Treat the earth well, it is not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children, we do not inherit it from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ( ancient Indian belief )

Banned Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Yep, Viet Nam- there is a big stink about it being foreign and all- but, good.... Is just that- good..