Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New cougar sighting!

New cougar sighting!

As many of you know, there have been 4 IDNR "confirmed" cougar sightings legitimized back in October/November of 2012. I am following a lead of another sighting coming out of Christian County. Several people have claimed a cougar was sighted 2 times this past week near the small town of Stonington IL as well as hearing it. Claims are they have heard a strange unidentified growling and screaming sound. The area just SE of town is heavily wooded with a creek. With recent rainfall, I am hoping to scout the area and look for any tracks. it was sighted on Friday and Saturday, so I'm not sure it would still be around, but finding tracks would still be neat.

Mating season......

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting nailbender1979's Avatar
    Sounds more like Bigfoot to me. Did they find any lemon peels?
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

NOOB Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting JYesley's Avatar
    I saw one just outside of New Athens a few weeks ago, It was slinking along a wood line trying to sneak up on about 5 deer. It got to within 40 yards or so and they made him, all I saw was white tails heading the other way and the cat was gone.....

Welcome to SILO CB & good luck with your tracking/hunt.

Although you are correct about the "confirmed" sightings last year I often wonder if the "average" person is aware of some of the sounds different animals/wildlife can and do make.

Exsample..... fox
    How many "average" people would know what this sound is if they heard a fox making it after dark while in or near the woods (I know most people here on SILO would )
    Actually it doesn't have to be near woods we have a red fox running around my part of town.

Last edited by flatlander; 01-31-2013 at 09:43.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Welcome to SILO CB & good luck with your tracking/hunt.

Although you are correct about the "confirmed" sightings last year I often wonder if the "average" person is aware of some of the sounds different animals/wildlife can and do make.

Exsample..... fox
    How many "average" people would know what this sound is if they heard a fox making it after dark while in or near the woods (I know most people here on SILO would )
    Actually it doesn't have to be near woods we have a red fox running around my part of town.

I had a red fox scream about 10 yards from me one night after critter calling. The evil little trickster waited till I unloaded and holstered my gun and put it in the backseat before it let out a long BLOODCURDLING SQUALL directly behind me! To say I was Petrified from fear is somewhat of a understatment. To top it off it was about 5 degrees that evening and the drivers side front door of my car suddenly seemed to have frozen shut. To make matters even worse, I had no ideal at that time what it was that managed to sneak up behind me and scare the bejeebers out of me on that cold and frosty night...

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting deadeye's Avatar
    I wonder the same thing. Just like people confusing the resurfacing red coyote for a red wolf.
    a bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at the office.

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Full Draw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    As many of you know, there have been 4 IDNR "confirmed" cougar sightings legitimized back in October/November of 2012. I am following a lead of another sighting coming out of Christian County. Several people have claimed a cougar was sighted 2 times this past week near the small town of Stonington IL as well as hearing it. Claims are they have heard a strange unidentified growling and screaming sound. The area just SE of town is heavily wooded with a creek. With recent rainfall, I am hoping to scout the area and look for any tracks. it was sighted on Friday and Saturday, so I'm not sure it would still be around, but finding tracks would still be neat.
    I heard the same rumors, but then I heard it was just one of the Tucker Boys from Taylorville out again on a weekend bender.
    Oh, Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side, my friend
    And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long

~Ted Nugent - "Fred Bear"

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting BigB's Avatar
    I think they are around a lot more than people think. Two years ago I found what I believe to be tracks where I hunt in suburban Chicago and this year I believe I got one on trail camera as well. I know they are just passing through but I think they come through northern Illinois more than people think. Heck, look at that one that was shot by cops in Chicago a few years back. That was in my old neighborhood, that was something I never thought I would see.

I got one on trail camera as well
    your not sneaking that one in....lets see the picture.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast