Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Carcass Disposal

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar

Deer Carcass Disposal

Couple questions - Most about deer hunting are clearly answered in the IDNR digest all the way up to disposing of the carcass.

Ok, so a person harvested a deer and cleaned the deer but the remaining carcass needs to be dealt with.

Assuming only the skeleton and the hide are left -

1. What is the proper disposal (legal method) on
    A. Private Property
    B. Public Property

2. During disposal of the carcass - is the tag required to remain on the animal until it rots off or is it allowed to remove the tag?

3. If an animal is shot and the animal clearly has some problem with the meat - disease, wound damage, found the wounded deer 2 days later after shooting it on a warm day, etc. Is there a Wanton Waste law for disposing of the carcass with meat on it?

4. Is field dressing the deer on public land allowed? Is it still allowed if multiple deer are field dressed in the same location (gut pile)?

5. Does IDNR publish locations for deer scraps to be disposed at? (Indiana has a list)

6. Does shooting a deer legally and cutting only it's antlers or entire head off leaving the remainder of the deer intact constitute as wanton waste?

7. Does IL enforce the federal wanton waste law?

Thanks
    Last edited by Debunk; 11-20-2012 at 18:29.
    “Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” –Zenna Schaffer

Good questions, I hope my answers help clarify it for you.
    I have always had difficulty coming up with a solid "legal" answer to question #1. If anyone can come up with a statute that would apply, please feel free to post it and notify me about it. Illinois has a dead-animal disposal act, but it is primarily related to renderers and businesses like that and domestic animals. I have read through it multiple times and cannot see where it applies to wild game carcasses. Most guys take their deer carcass out to the timber and leave it for the coyotes, but I cannot say for certainty if this is legal. The safest bet would be landfill or to bury, burn or compost it as per the requirements of the EPA--essentially don't bury it in a floodplain or within 200 feet of potable water. The complaints and tickets show up when inconsiderate hunters dump the carcass on the roadside or in a creek, river or other water source.
    Question #2: The tag is required to remain attached to the deer until it's at the legal residence of the person who legally took or possessed it and the deer has been checked in and final processing is complete.
    Question #3:The Administrative Rule for Archery and Firearm deer hunting states-- Permits will not be reissued in cases involving diseased deer or spoiled deer due to previous injury. Legal disposal of the unfit deer shall be the responsibility of the hunter. ----(However they don't state what is legal disposal.) As long as you tag the deer and record the harvest etc, there actually is no charge for "wasting" the meat. In a situation like you just described the diseased/injured/spoiled deer and loss of meat is not really in your control. As bad as it may sound, Illinois does not have a wanton waste law in the same sense that many western big-game states as related to the "wasting" of the meat.
    Question #4 Yes, in Illinois you can field-dress your deer on public land. Just use common sense and don't do it in a parking lot or someplace thoughtless like that.
    Question #5. I don't know of any public disposal areas that DNR lists. However look up your local renderer and you shouldn't have any trouble taking it to them.
    Question #6. We have a wanton waste law, but it applies to species with daily bag limits. I think it could be argued to include deer, but there is another section that specifically addresses deer. Once you get that game home you can essentially do with the meat as you see fit. For deer: Deer must remain whole until checked in. If it is checked-in in the field, it may not be dismembered beyond quartering, all parts must be transported together and evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to a quarter. (evidence of sex consists of head with antlers attached to carcass or testicle, scrotum or penis attached to quarter. For a doe, head attached to carcass, or udder or vulva attached to quarter. So if a guy is just cutting off the antlers or head, he is illegal.
    Question #7 Yes for all Illinois species which fall under Federal Law, we enforce the federal wanton waste law.

To expand on #5 most renderers have strict rules when itcomes to deer. Most wont take the heads, it is the same with sheep.
    UH HRCH JPH Fowlin' Fish
    Hogan III v.d. Jagerhutte

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting BigB's Avatar
    The last three years we've had someone dumps the remains of 3 to 7 deer right along the road next to where I hunt. A few years ago when it was unseasonably warm for deer season it was 4 gutted deer, not meat or anything taken off. The last two years it was just bones, fur and heads. I hope that can't be legal dumping them three feet off the road no where near where you hunt. All it does is attract coyotes to the land that I hunt, therefor hurting my chances at a deer. I'd sure like to catch who it is and call our local DNR. I'm curious if that would be consider littering because of the proximity to the road and the sheer amount? When it was 7 deer (from what I could count) it was like someone pulled there pick up over and dumped everything out. No tags on anything of course. At least when we dispose of ours we have a designated ditch to dump everything in on the land away from any deer stands. If we knew the person and he asked we'd probably let him put them in the ditch/ravine just not 50 yards from one of our stands and 20 feet from a heavily used deer trail that crosses the road!

Yes, in situations where we catch someone dumping on the road-side, they are issued tickets for littering and/or pollution of the waterway if it involves a creek or waterway. Keep your eye on the area and if you see anybody dumping, be a good witness and try to get license plates, description of the people and notify your local game warden as soon as possible. A rotting pile of deer carcasses on the side of the road visible to the public certainly does nothing to enhance the image of hunters.

Well, it seems as if somebody was reading these postings and decided to make some changes! The Illinois Legislature recently enacted some law changes which cover some of what was discussed above. The wanton waste law 520 ILCS 5/2.33 (hh) was expanded to include the wasting of usable meat, which is defined as breast meat of game birds and migratory game birds and the hams and front shoulders of deer. (unless it was unfit for human consumption, diseased etc) They also specifically addressed dumping carcasses on the public right-of-way or highway or waterways (which all was already illegal). And they clarified, (question #1A from the original posting) that it is now legal to dump a deer carcass on private property (with the landowners permission), which was always in question previously due to no particular law specifically addressing it.

Official SILO Sponsor lifestudent55's Avatar
    Thank you for posting the updated information.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived."
    H. D. Thoreau
    Walden

------

James Lindley's shop
    Inner Health, Outer Beauty

So then it would be illegal to bone out a deer in a wilderness area (where ATVs and wheeled carts are prohibited) even with proof of sex attached to the meat?

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Upstater, I think if you call in & get your confirmation number before you bone out & pack out your deer your Legal??? Good question I hope we get an answer..

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Birdhunter1's Avatar
    South of Murphysboro in a place called Birdville!
    Post #2 from SILO CPO shoudl answer your question:
    Deer must remain whole until checked in. If it is checked-in in the field, it may not be dismembered beyond quartering, all parts must be transported together and evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to a quarter. (evidence of sex consists of head with antlers attached to carcass or testicle, scrotum or penis attached to quarter. For a doe, head attached to carcass, or udder or vulva attached to quarter. So if a guy is just cutting off the antlers or head, he is illegal.
    I've never done it this way in Illinois but in Wyoming we take the quarters and leave the teets attached for proof of sex on does ad of course with a buck we have the head or horns, all the meat in one game bag with teh tag wrapped and tied to the bag. Game warden out there said that was the legal requirement, IL I am sure is different in some way
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms belong on a grocery list, not a government agenda!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast