Thread: Smoked Rainbow Trout

Smoked Rainbow Trout

I have to say these were the very best brined and smoked trout I've ever had the pleasure to eat...

I liked the succulent moist trout candy just the way it came out of the smoker, but Char had to get a little fancy on me, but the fact that she really doesn't like trout that much and she did like this speaks for itself...

Official SILO Sponsor lifestudent55's Avatar
    I love smoked rainbow trout. I think I'd go with a butter cracker instead of the saltine, but it looks delicious.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived."
    H. D. Thoreau
    Walden

------

James Lindley's shop
    Inner Health, Outer Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by lifestudent55 View Post
    I love smoked rainbow trout. I think I'd go with a butter cracker instead of the saltine, but it looks delicious.
    yeah, we didn't have any good crackers but it was still pretty good. I polished off one for lunch with some smoked turkey I also had in the smoker last night. I was doing a practice run before Thanksgiving. Then Char had her daughter over and decided to show her how to make her Italian Christmas Ravioli...It was definitely a win-win situation...

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting heavy5256's Avatar
    Had a lot of smoke fish, but cann't say I've ever had smoke trout. Really looks good.
    Treat the earth well, it is not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children, we do not inherit it from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ( ancient Indian belief )

Quote Originally Posted by heavy5256 View Post
    Had a lot of smoke fish, but cann't say I've ever had smoke trout. Really looks good.
    Well I tried smoking trout years ago and didn't care for it very much but, back then I over smoked everything to say the least. What really made this trout so much better was brining them overnight in the fridge and using applewood for the smoke. The basic brine was brown sugar, water, salt, chopped onion and garlic, dried dill and lemon pepper. Very important to lightly rinse off the fish and thoroughly dry off the trout the next day and let sit in the fridge for several hours until it gets that sheen on the skin and meat...

Banned Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thumbs up Southern Illinois Trout

I am not at liberty to say where these were from.. Limited very very quickly, bank fisherman. Were limiting quickly as well.

(These are. Not. My fish or I would say where it was.)

(But I getzz to eatzz 'em.. )

forgot the image :)

Forgot the image, oops
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B. View Post
    I am not at liberty to say where these were from.. Limited very very quickly, bank fisherman. Were limiting quickly as well.

(These are. Not. My fish or I would say where it was.)

(But I getzz to eatzz 'em.. )
    I can narrow it down to where your trout came from. 1. Frank Holten State Park. 2. World Shooting complex in Sparta, IL. 3. Jones lake. World Shooting Complex would be the easiest to get to from Waterloo, Frank Holten would be my best bet, though Jones Lake might be a sleeper and less known...

NNOOPPEE!! LOL- Blah haha...

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting heavy5256's Avatar
    I can remember as a kid going to Piggly wiggly and mom would pick up fresh smoked chubs. Always had a nice shine and the same golden bronze to them. They were great. Smoke a lot of salmon out of lake mich. We use brown sugar, vinegar,water. and a touch of liquid smoke for brine. It's fair. The best I ever had was what an old timer made. Buffalo caught out of the walbash. He used charcoal and sasafrass to smoke it. After reading this post I had the taste and had to get up and open a can of smoked oysters.
    Treat the earth well, it is not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children, we do not inherit it from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ( ancient Indian belief )