Thread: illinois air gun regulations??

illinois air gun regulations??

what are illinois airgun regulations?? without a foid card, how many fps are you legally allowed to use. i had read that without a foid card you could have up to 700 fps, and at one sporting goods store they said without foid card up to 1000, and another store said no airgun without foid card..... confused.....and also read without foid card nothing larger than .177.......can you please help??

I assume your question is simply how do airguns relate to the FOID Act.

430 ILCS 65/1.1
    "Firearm" means any device.......designed to expel a projectile......
    ...excluding however:
    (1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors:

So to paraphrase for you, as long as the pellet gun is under .18 caliber and less than 700 fps, you don't need a foid card. Anything larger or faster and you need the foid card (many of the pellet guns now-a-days really zip along.)

I would not trust any clerk behind a counter unless they can quote you the law (430 ILCS Firearm Owners Identification Card Act)........lots of clerks give out bad information!

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Craig's Taxidermy's Avatar
    ok so if an air soft is 6mm which is larger than .18 Do you check neighborhood kids for FOID and why don't IL retailers such as walmart require you be 21 yrs olds and not make them wait 3 days ? I was under the impression it had to be both larger than .18 AND faster than 700 fps to require a FOID.
    Harley Craig
    It's been a good run, but do to my day job and personal reasons, I have shut down the taxidermy studio thank you to all who have supported me in the past.

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting jordn88's Avatar
    I would just stay away from them all together I got arrested for having one in my truck...... big misunderstanding and a huge headache

Quote Originally Posted by jordn88 View Post
    I would just stay away from them all together I got arrested for having one in my truck...... big misunderstanding and a huge headache
    the ones our local walmart sells are clear no mistaking that for a real gun but the way I read IL law it IS a real gun that requires a FOID. What happened in your case were all charges dropped? Did you have a FOID?

I am going to post this in a new thread so our CPO don't miss it.
    Harley Craig
    It's been a good run, but do to my day job and personal reasons, I have shut down the taxidermy studio thank you to all who have supported me in the past.

the way I read the orig question from GOB to the silo cpo is about air pellet guns, which shoot lead or steel pellets, and or poss now, zinc pellets. Can't understand why you would need a foid card for a airsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by icgeese61 View Post
    the way I read the orig question from GOB to the silo cpo is about air pellet guns, which shoot lead or steel pellets, and or poss now, zinc pellets. Can't understand why you would need a foid card for a airsoft.
    Here is our CPO's quote from the original response.

So to paraphrase for you, as long as the pellet gun is under .18 caliber and less than 700 fps, you don't need a foid card. Anything larger or faster and you need the foid card (many of the pellet guns now-a-days really zip along.

Airsoft is 6mm that is larger than .18 caliber so acording to my interpertation of the law and the quote from our very own CPO I would say you better have a FOID if you posess an Airsoft, and you better treat it like a firearm. The law does not specify the type of material the projectile is made out of IE lead it just states any Globular projectile
    Harley Craig

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting nailbender1979's Avatar
    This is interesting. I can't wait to hear the answer.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."