Thread: Horseshoe Lake Alexander CO

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting bdw's Avatar

Horseshoe Lake Alexander CO

Every year I like to fish a new lake in the spring for crappie. Last year was Little Grassy. This year I was thinking about trying Horseshoe Lake in Alexander county. I have read the lake description, which covers the basics, and was wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience fishing the lake. Was looking at a mid-March crappie trip.

Thanks

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting jswamp's Avatar
    I have been wanting to fish the lake myself. It looks like is would be great, just have no idea about fishing the lake.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket DetectDave's Avatar
    My hunt club partners and I fish this lake routinely for crappie and are pretty successful. Decent ramp access on the west east side off Rte 3. Good bait shop in Olive Branch. Owner is originally from Alton and very helpful. We jig the cypress trees just like you would at Reelfoot. There are some pretty decent flatheads in here too that may give your jig pole a lil wakeup.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. .....W. C. Fields

Shootin' bucks, whackin' ducks, & drivin' Ford trucks...that's the way I roll!!

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting isp2443's Avatar
    Dave, I hunt down there every year and have a pretty close contact we hunt right across the Miller City Black top on the west side of the lake, if you want a little more info. give me a call or PM me. Kevin
    Last edited by isp2443; 03-09-2011 at 05:48.

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    DDave not sure sitting in decoys looking at the lake drinking beverages and talking about fishing is actually fishing.
    Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
    William Shakespeare

Horeshoe is feast or famine in my opinion. There is no middle ground with the lake. I Bass fish it mostly, It was awesome back in the late 70's and early 80's. Then the lake cycled like most of them do. The flood of 93 did it more good than anything. I started catching good numbers and enjoyed it again for about 4 more years. The crapp's will start earlier down there than they do elsewhere because it is shallow and warms up faster. Make a couple trips down there and start with live bait, hold to the south end mainly. They will be concentrated on close to the base of the trees. Two types in the lake Cypress and Tupelo. Once you figure out which one they are concentrating on, on that given day stay with it. The big mature Cypress have a network of knees under the water that you cant see so dont be afraid to dabble on the outside edges of the trees. Also concentrate on the little clumps of trees out away from the bank, the ones that are isolated. They get alot of sunlight and are more attractive to the fish early in the year............................

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket DetectDave's Avatar
    BigPappy, I do get on the water on occasion if I can get outta Ouidas or Decoys..LOL
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. .....W. C. Fields

Shootin' bucks, whackin' ducks, & drivin' Ford trucks...that's the way I roll!!