Thread: Lusk Creek / Indian Kitchen

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lusk Creek / Indian Kitchen

First, I want to thank everyone for the pointers and tips regarding Lusk Creek and Cedar Falls. Last night, I finally got done sorting / culling shots from the weekend. I still have some editing to do, but, I did get one done.

It was an interesting (and tiring) adventure!! First off, I didn't have a map of the area and only knew where the trail head was. So, I started down the trail. Within a few yards, I was seeing little silver glistening streaks all over across the trail. There were an amazing amount of spider webs!! I grabbed a stick to catch them rather than walking through them. The walk back was further than I expected, but, eventually got to a hitching area with signs that said 'Indian kitchen'. Took a break, grabbed a drink, and looked around for a bit. Then headed into the wilderness preserve. A short trek down the trail and I found the area pictured above. I spent quite a bit of time there before exploring the trail either direction. One direction, there was a ledge trail I followed for a bit until it got too narrow and crevices I didn't feel comfortable jumping with all my camera gear not to mention I was feeling slightly fatigued. So, I went the other direction and ran out of trail and didn't really want to make my own. So, I headed back up and walked a trail on the top of the bluff for a little bit. After I was done there, I headed back to the hitching area and had another sit down and finished the water I had. Since I was getting pretty tired and out of water, I didn't follow the trail any further, opting to head back to the truck.

While at the hitching area, I found a geocache that I looked through and signed the logbook. After getting back from the trip, I looked up the cache on geocaching.com and it appears that where I found it was not the original location. But, there was a better description of the area on that site than I found in general web searching. Based on pictures I had seen, I knew I hadn't seen a lot of the overhangs / bluffs, but, wasn't in any position to explore any more. Now, I think if I would have taken the trail further instead of going back to the truck, I would have found those areas.

Anyway, it was a fun trip, but, not sure that I would make it again. Maybe in my younger more energetic days. :-)

When I get some more pics processed, I'll upload them, but, I only have a couple more from Lusk Creek / Indian Kitchen.
    My photos on flickr
    My neglected blog

Camera gear: Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 10-22, Tamron EF 28-75 F/2.8, Canon EF 70-200L F/4, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Lensbaby Composer + flashes and misc bits/pieces.

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Outdrdave's Avatar
    place looks very cool. Thanks for the share. Maybe if you go back you can time it with the leaves changing. It could be a more enjoyable walk with the cooler weather and allow you to explore more while at the same time allowing for some great picure oppertunities.

Take care,

Dave

Really cool shot, sorry the trails were not better marked for you. I have not been there in over 30 years, maybe next time your down we will go back and find the other spots you wanted to photograph.

BTW Did you make it to Cedar Falls?

Thanks, guys!

I am going to try to make it down for some Fall colors, just not sure where, yet. If I do make it back to Lusk Creek, at least I'll know more what to expect and there's always someplace new to explore!

The trail itself was fine and the direction was well marked. I just don't know where the specific features are. This one is completely on me!

Yes, I made it to Cedar Falls. I'll post about that one in another thread.

Here are a couple more shots from Lusk Creek.

My photos on flickr
    My neglected blog

Camera gear: Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 10-22, Tamron EF 28-75 F/2.8, Canon EF 70-200L F/4, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Lensbaby Composer + flashes and misc bits/pieces.

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Phasmatis's Avatar
    LOVE that place! Signed that geocache back in July, left a band-aid.

;Phas
    facebook.com/zackkjackson#!/profile.php?id=767585152
    youtube.com/ghost2743

Great shots, that is a tough area to photo. It looks like you saw all the features actually. Did you check out the shelter cave that is right behind that photo you took from the top?

That ledge trail doesn't go anywhere. The canyon itself is pretty neat in that direction, the rock walls are sheer on both sides but I have yet to find a nice photogenic perspective of it. Maybe getting there at dawn and catching some mist over the water would be nice.. I'm not sure the 2 mile one way hike would be worth it during fall color though.

I'm looking forward to seeing Cedar Falls though, that area can be very photogenic and not many people know about it since it's privately owned!
    Last edited by tkr2099; 09-10-2010 at 11:34.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket mdoc's Avatar
    Nice work, I'd like to get down to some more places too but never have enough time...
    It is light that reveals, light that obscures, light that communicates. It is light I "listen"
    to. The light late in the day has a distinct quality, as it fades toward the darkness of
    evening. After sunset there is a gentle leaving of the light, the air begins to still, and a
    quiet descends. I see magic in the quiet light of dusk. I feel quiet, yet intense energy in
    the natural elements of our habitat. A sense of magic prevails. A sense of mystery. It is
    a time for contemplation, for listening - a time for making photographs.
    -John Sexton

Thanks, everyone! I think the band-aid was still in there, Phas! No, unfortunately, I didn't see the shelter cave. The problem is, there are so many awesome places that are easier/quicker to get to. Lusk Creek is definitely a cool place, but, you have to really want it.
    My photos on flickr
    My neglected blog