Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. Illinois Shooting Ranges, where are they?

Tender Foot Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Marcus76's Avatar

S. Illinois Shooting Ranges, where are they?

Where are all the shooting ranges in southern Illinois? Which one is your favorite? Are there any indoor rifle ranges around or are they all outside? Do the members of the forum ever meet up at any of the local ranges for some fun and friendly competition?

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket RoninSI's Avatar
    Last indoor range I knew of was in Belle Ville... don't know if it's still open.

There is a range near Centralia, that is free. Coyote's Trading Post, if I remember the name correctly. Not sure on the spec's of range, just know that you can shoot from indoors to an outdoor range. Only rule is any brass that hits the floor belongs to the range...

Then there is the sporting complex in Sparta.... Several threads on that location already exist.

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Cool_Guy's Avatar
    There is the Williamson County Gun Club just north of Carterville, and there's the Egyptian Rifle & Pistol Club by the National Guard Armory in Marion. Those are the only two I know of. I personally like to go into the shawnee forest and shoot. Less people and as long as you clean up your mess US Fish & Wildlife and the CPO's don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Guy View Post
    I personally like to go into the shawnee forest and shoot. Less people and as long as you clean up your mess US Fish & Wildlife and the CPO's don't care.
    Interesting! I may have to do that. Do you check in anywhere so they know you're not hunting off-season?
    Last edited by Marcus76; 06-19-2010 at 11:40. Reason: added question

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Cool_Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus76 View Post
    Interesting! I may have to do that. Do you check in anywhere so they know you're not hunting off-season?
    You didn't have to check in. Most law enforcement can tell the difference between plinking and hunting just by the amount of shooting you'll be doing.

On a side note. If it is a hunting season. Try and go shooting during off hunting hours. Most of the time I go in the afternoon, and never during deer season. The deer season part is more safety for you then anything, northern folk will shoot at anything that moves.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket RoninSI's Avatar
    Interestingly, I just came across this.....

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

Search by area code, zip code and distance, or state.
    You can even narrow it down to bow, rifle, handgun, shotgun, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninSI View Post
    Interestingly, I just came across this.....

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

Search by area code, zip code and distance, or state.
    You can even narrow it down to bow, rifle, handgun, shotgun, and more.
    That is a good find! Consider it bookmarked!

I searched for a long yardage range and found none in IL. There are a couple in Missouri, but the require memberships and some require training classes before shooting. I went to Highland IL. and sighted in at their outdoor 50 and 100 yard range. The cost is 10 dollars for the day.
    1. God, 2. Family, 3. Career, 4. Hunting and Fly Fishing (Sure is hard keeping #4 from moving to #3)

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting wolfgang's Avatar
    The Sparta complex, to my knowledge, doesn't have a rifle range in yet, as for Belleville, I hate the place, they have very little in stock and their range fees are somewhat outrageous and if one of the employees gets a fact about a gun wrong and you correct them you might as well leave, someone was trying to sell a person a gun and some false information regarding a Glock and the factory barrels' fondness (or lack there of) of lead bullets, sorry for correcting them on a matter that can lead to a pistol severely injuring the shooter. In IL you won't find much for long range public shooting ranges, MO is somewhat better, but still most are only good for hunting distances (Rolla has one $10/day non-members, free for members ($100/year) that only goes out to 250 yards), nothing competitive

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Murdy's Avatar
    I'd rather gouge my eyes out than see any more politics on what used to be an outdoors website
    Here's a list of IDNR run trap ranges (archery also). The last one says it has a rifle range as well.
    http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt...g/handtrap.htm
    I will never vote for or support the people who got rich sticking it to us in 2008.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast