View Poll Results: Would you find a website like this valuable?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 81.82%
  • No

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail Movement Prediction

Thumbs up Whitetail Movement Prediction

Would any of you expert or novice deer hunters out here find valuable a web-based tool that would pull live data from say www.weather.com and relate it automatically to the conditions that a lot of wildlife researchers and biologists have found to be the best times for deer movement?

I am thinking about developing such a tool, and would like to know if there would be interest in such a tool. I personally think it would be valuable to hop on-line a day or two before the weekend and see which mornings or afternoons of the weekend are expected to produce the best deer movement based on various weather patterns.

Please let me know what you think.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket ridn4free's Avatar
    sound interesting but its too broad a variable to very useful. lots of factors change deer movement, someone drives into a back road and spooks the deer on evening, may change their habit for a couple of weeks, the crop gets cut and they move to another field, predator moves in. Even a tree falls over a favorite creek crossing and the deer move to the next crossing. Sounds interesting I could probable take the data and do some sort of WMS on google earth but I just dont think its viable due to their many changes

Jed, fetch a preacher, he has done touched my untouchables

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Murdy's Avatar
    I'd rather gouge my eyes out than see any more politics on what used to be an outdoors website
    Definitely interesting, though I'd have some doubts about its validity and the science behind it being useful in anything but the most general sense. That said, however, my inclination would be to check it and see if it correlated with my observations. If it did for a sustained time, maybe I would start using it as a planning tool. (Though I guess I've never been big on checking those "best times" charts published in various magazines)
    I will never vote for or support the people who got rich sticking it to us in 2008.

Everything you mention is true. Hunting pressure around your property or how much the public ground one hunts on may be the single most important factor to seeing deer during legal hunting hours. How hunters understand how/why deer move based on weather patterns is the least discussed topic that I think most deer hunters don't quite spend much time on. They focus on stand placement, food plots, best funnel areas, wind direction, scent elimination, etc. This tool has nothing to do with these variables.

If research in the past has shown that deer move less or more during certain weather conditions, and all I have to do is punch in the zip code where I hunt and have the program that evaluates it accordingly, then it is another "tool in the toolbox" for the deer hunt.

Regarding your comment about the best time charts in the magazines. This tool would be much more valuable than that. It would be based live data...as good as the meteorologists can provide. The best a magazine could do is historical weather data and predicted moon patterns.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket ridn4free's Avatar
    I didnt vote on the poll just commented. I am a senior hunter, I have bow and shotgun hunted for over twenty years. The one thing I have found consistent with deer movement is that they are inconsistent. But I am open to try, check with the SIUC they were doing a study on CWD a few years back you might find some sensor data from that study that you can track. If you can get some data source you might be able to do some type of development. I do that for a living so I might be able to steer you in the right direction. just a coincidence I am a deer hunter in southern IL

Jed, fetch a preacher, he has done touched my untouchables

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket SWAMPMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterskitchen View Post
    Regarding your comment about the best time charts in the magazines. This tool would be much more valuable than that. It would be based live data...as good as the meteorologists can provide. The best a magazine could do is historical weather data and predicted moon patterns.
    I think your approach of "live based data" would end up being more valuable than the historic weather data that show best times.
    It's worth a shot. If it narrows down a persons success rate than you may be on to something. Nothing is perfect but making one's % chance better would sell.
    God made it first, it's up to us to make it last.

A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    I remember when going out hunting used to be fun and when you had time you just went. I think this concept and all others like it is getting as far away as possible from just hunting for fun.

I can see it now. No son, we can't go hunting today, it only has a deer movement rating of 5 out of 10. Lets wait until next weekend when it will be a 7.

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket SWAMPMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rce View Post
    I remember when going out hunting used to be fun and when you had time you just went. I think this concept and all others like it is getting as far away as possible from just hunting for fun.

I can see it now. No son, we can't go hunting today, it only has a deer movement rating of 5 out of 10. Lets wait until next weekend when it will be a 7.
    One can understand what your saying. If your like everybody else ,time is valuable. If you can better your chances with up to date info why not utilize it?
    Time will tell if it's accurate. It's just another tool to use.
    God made it first, it's up to us to make it last.

A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by rce View Post

rce--My vision is like this...play along if you will. Its Thursday or Friday evening and the weekend is closing fast. Your wife has just asked what day you plan on bow hunting because she's got plans for you on one of the days. You can say back, well, it looks like Saturday looks better based on weather patterns. For me, that is a better answer than I don't know or just picking Sunday...

If you're one of those guys that has a wife or significant other that likes to go hunting with you or one that doesn't care how much you hunt, then disregard...I suspect most of us don't have that luxury these days...I wish I did

Maybe you're a guy who doesn't watch weather patterns a lot and doesn't take the time to analyze what the upcoming weather patterns mean as far as your hunt; and would prefer to work on something in the shed on a day where movement is not likely.

If it comes down to it, a guy who doesn't take his boy hunting for no other reason than this predictor tool is better off staying home anyways in my opinion...if the boy wants to go, most dads are going to jump at the chance at having that time to teach their kids something about hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast