Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I choose Lightfield slugs over Remington copper solids

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Birdhunter1's Avatar
    South of Murphysboro in a place called Birdville!

Why I choose Lightfield slugs over Remington copper solids

Remington Copper solids are awesome bullets, have no complaints about them at all and guys I have talked to said it anchors with authority (and never heard to the contrary). However, there is no replacement for displacement and te Lightfield's are my choice slug:

Dug this one out of a shoulder last year:

Was going to take a picture of the slug into a deer's head last year, but the slug disintegrated into small pieces of lead fragment and there was just a pile of brain mattered lead chunks.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms belong on a grocery list, not a government agenda!

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    A hunter would be successful with either slug given their gun throws them accurately. I have witnessed Barnes Expander bullets tumble at 75 yards coming out of a 1 in 48" twist barrel.
    “Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” –Zenna Schaffer

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Birdhunter1's Avatar
    South of Murphysboro in a place called Birdville!
    Very true, all of em would work well except those blasted Hornady SST's. The SST is a well built slug but I don't think a shotgun can get the speed to make it perform the way it should. Plus I think if a guy were to pull that plastic tip out of them you would see it do some major damage. I cut one of the bullets in half and inside where that plastic tip is it is a very open segmented hollow point, as they are I have seen several of them pass through deer and simply punch a hole with no blood trail and a small wound channel.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms belong on a grocery list, not a government agenda!

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Debunk's Avatar
    Agree with you.
    The TC Shockwaves use the Hornady SST's in them.
    Unless they hit bone deer loss is very possible.
    “Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” –Zenna Schaffer

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting wolfgang's Avatar
    I wouldn't look past using Remington AccutTip 3" 20ga if I would have 150 yard shots, but I can't quite see that far due to brush with the naked eye, let alone while staring down iron sights.

Addict Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Full Draw's Avatar
    Bird I remember you saying that about the SST's last year about this time. A guy I hunt with uses them and that is exactly that happened. It went straight through and left very little damage and blood. Needless to say he is no longer shooting the SST's
    Oh, Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side, my friend
    And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long

~Ted Nugent - "Fred Bear"

Mountain Man Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    And to think, most guys on the savage smokeless ML board are complaining about 250 Gr SST's "blowing up" on them and want to use the 300's

I use a ML now...

Personally, I WOULD put the copper solids at least equal to the big hunk o lead...those Barnes copper bullets really seem to hold up (expand and drive thru things!) But I am shooting 250 gr Hornady FTX this year in the ML

Here is my take on the Lightfield vs. Sabot discussion... "I use both" When hunting the deep woods and thick cover where shots will more than likely be within 50-75 yards I use the Lightfields. When hunting open areas where shots are more likely to be a little farther (100-150yards) I use the Hornady SST.

My reasoning... if you compare the ballistics you can see why you might get a pass through if you shot a deer at 25 yards with a Hornday (bullet traveling over 2000 fps and cant mushroom quick enough) or why a shot at over 100 yards might be a stretch for the Lightfields.

Lightfield Hybred EXP (385 gr)
    Velocity (fps) - Muzzle = 1500 , 50 yards = 1278 , 100 yards = 1111 , 150 yards = 1052
    Drop (in.) - 50 yards = +1.92 , 100 yards = 0 , 125 yards = -3.49

Hornaday SST (300 gr)
    Velocity (fps) - Muzzle = 2000 , 50 yards = 2196 , 100 yards = 1793 , 150 yards = 1463
    Drop (in) - 50 yards = +2.4 , 100 yards = +2.0 , 150 yards = 0.0 , 200 yards = -6.7

My conclusion is this: If you are doing your hunting where shorter shots (<75 yards) are more than likely to occur than the Lightfield is your slug. If you are hunting more open country (shots >75 yards) and want a slug whose ballistics resembles that of a lower-powered rifle then the hornady SST is your slug.

Experience: I have shot a buck at approx 40 yards with both slugs. both were lung shots, with the only difference being the Lightfield dropped him in his tracks (and found the slug in his opposite shoulder) and the Hornaday allowed him to run about 150 yards before expiring (no blood trail for first 25 yards, clean pass through with entry and exit holes no bigger than a dime)
    Now to the Hornaday's defense, I shot a doe 2nd season at 170 yards (with a rest). Placed the cross hairs right on her shoulder and dropped her in her tracks. At that distance I believe the "plastic" tipped bullet was slowed down enough to properly expand and I still got a complete pass through but the wound channel was double the size it was at 40 yards!

Hope this helps!!!!!
    Robinson Outdoors / Scent Blocker Field Staff Member
    Mathews Monster... 28.5" draw 70lbs. 337fps
    Easton Flatline Arrows w/ 3" Quickspin vanes
    Muzzy MX3 Broadheads

newest addition.... Fred Bear Supermag 48 recurve 55lbs.

The guns used for the above post were: H&R 12 ga. Ultra Slug Hunter (bull barrel) fully rifled,single shot for the Hornady's and Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga. with fully rifled barrel for the Lightfields
    Robinson Outdoors / Scent Blocker Field Staff Member
    Mathews Monster... 28.5" draw 70lbs. 337fps
    Easton Flatline Arrows w/ 3" Quickspin vanes
    Muzzy MX3 Broadheads

newest addition.... Fred Bear Supermag 48 recurve 55lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BowtechKiller View Post
    At that distance I believe the "plastic" tipped bullet was slowed down enough to properly expand and I still got a complete pass through but the wound channel was double the size it was at 40 yards!

Hope this helps!!!!!
    Slowed enough to properly expand and get complete pass thru?

Sounds exactly the opposite. How do you know it expanded? Exit holes typically push material out and will make a larger hole than the entrance even it not expanded. At that distance the bullet should have never made it all the way through. The energy was not transfered to the deer and poked a hole throught it.
    Last edited by Debunk; 11-17-2009 at 12:11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast