Thread: Coon Hunting World Championship

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket RoninSI's Avatar

Coon Hunting World Championship

Thought this might be of some intrest to people on here....

I never realized coon hunting was really that big

Salem to Host World Coon Hunting Championship
    6/15/09 @ 3:31:14 pm

In order to provide a larger covered area for the PKC World Championship Coon Hunt, the current covered picnic area would be extended an estimated 30 feet to the fair office building on the right. WJBDradio.com photo by Bruce Kropp.The PKC World Championship Coon Hunt is coming to Salem. The President of the Professional Kennel Club Roger Dale Carnegie made the announcement as the National championship was wrapping up this weekend at the Marion County Fairgrounds.

The event is expected to attract around 1,800 dogs and around three-thousand people for the series of three competitions that will based at the fairgrounds from October 22nd through October 31st. The World hunt is being moved from Aurora, Kentucky where ice storms caused heavy tree damage and have ruined hunting.

Carnegie says he has the committment of several area coon clubs to serve as the guides, which is the key to the competition. "We're going to be limited on space here compared to what we were in Aurora. The City of Salem and the Fair Board have committed to making some necessary renovations for us to be able to 'limp through', so to speak, the World Championship. Depending on how things go here, this may be our home for years to come. We'll just have to wait and see," Carnegie said. He is also pleased with the warm welcome the competitors have received in Salem.

Carnegie notes one difference will be competitors having to stay further away, since Salem does not have the number of hotel rooms as Aurora, which is in a tourist area. Carnegie explains how the competition that contains a top prize of 25-thousand dollars in the World Hunt work. "Dogs run in groups of four for two-hour intervals. They're scored on their abilities to strike, trail, and tree a coon. There's a scoring system where there are a set of strike points which are valued at 100, 75, 50 and 25. Tree points are made up the same. The dog that accumulates the most points at the end of the two-hour period is declared the winner and advances to the next round," Carnegie said.

The three competitions to be held in Salem are the Superstakes, the World Championship, and the Youth hunt. The Youth hunt provides scholarship money to the young hunters. The Professional Kennel Club is based in Evansville, Indiana.

http://www.wjbdradio.com/index.php?f...ingle&id=17227
    Last edited by RoninSI; 06-16-2009 at 09:58. Reason: to add contributing link

My granpa made it every year until the last when he got sick. It is huge. I know in the UKC, the top two or three registered dogs are coonhounds.
    UH HRCH JPH Fowlin' Fish
    Hogan III v.d. Jagerhutte

Sacred White Buffalo Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket RoninSI's Avatar
    I seen some signs around town(last week?) about a competition... And didn't think much of it, cause I had so much to do. I might have to start checking these things out......

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting cooner's Avatar
    Ron if you are interested there are several clubs in the area i can tell you where there at and when they have a hunt. Anyone can walk along as a spectator on a competition hunt. There is one in Sparta this Saturday. I am the hunt director for the Sparta club. There is also a hunt in Oraville this saturday night. I am the vice-president of that club. Or if you want, you can walk along with me on a pleasure hunt first, and see how that goes.
    Jim Thompson
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    tree my dog!!!!

Guide Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting heavy5256's Avatar
    When I lived in Marshall co. Kentucky, they hosted it in 1996. You're going to be shocked at the amount of people it's going to draw and the coverage it'll get. I can'nt remember if it was 1 week or 2 weeks long. I beleive it was 2 weeks. Did alittle coon hunting over the years with my dad.We did alot of it back in the early 1980's when hides were so high.
    Treat the earth well, it is not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children, we do not inherit it from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ( ancient Indian belief )

Nimrod Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting cooner's Avatar
    This is a BIG hunt. I believe it is a ten day hunt. The Sparta club was asked to help with guides and judges. This hunt will draw some huge numbers. The town of Salem is bending over backwards to help. This will put a LOT of money into the area. I will be making atleast one maybe even two trips over there to just look around and maybe buy some stuff. I will post later when i plan to go in case a couple people want to get together and go. You will not believe the amount of dogs that will be there.
    Jim Thompson
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    tree my dog!!!!