PDA

View Full Version : IL Dream Hunt, Sahara Woods SP

LYNN
10-24-2007, 00:54
Hey everyone it is that time of year again when the IBS helps the United Special Sportsman Alliance & the IDNR put on the Illinois Dream Hunt. This is the 5th year for our hunt & it will once again be held at the Sahara Woods State park, in southern Illinois. The DNR has set aside 2,000 acres, at this park, that is only hunted by these 12 special hunters, during the dream hunt. We will have 12 volunteer helpers, in each blind, with a hunter. These special hunters will be mostly critically ill and disabled youth from all over the US.
Here is a link to USSA's web site that can give you a lot more info, on what this is all really about. http://www.childswish.com/index.php
Jim Mcfarlane, our IBS Pres., will be the Hunt Coordination, as usual. Jim has done this every year, does a great job & can not be thanked enough for taking on the lions share of the work.
This will be my second year to get to help take a kid hunting. Other IBS members that are helping, that you guys know from this message board, are Alex McAdams, Ron McCarthy & Kory Brink. Alex & Ron have helped from the beginning. While Kory/fulltimehunter, along with IBS member Robby Pruitt, are helping for the first time. Duane Hopp/ Silbowhunter/flatlander will be coming by & helping out again this year, since he is from that neck of the woods. We have a lot of other great helpers. To many to mention them all now, but we will try to include more of them, in the stories next week.
We will be hunting Fri the 26th through Sunday the 28th. This is usually firearm hunt, but we may have one disabled person using a crossbow this year. There are a lot of deer in the area, so we hope these kids get to harvest a few nice deer & have a lot of fun doing it. I am sure we will do just that & we hope to have a lot of great pics & stories to share with you all next week.
Wish us luck. :)

LYNN
10-24-2007, 01:21
Hey guy I am headed your way Thurs. for a very specail deer hunt this weekend.
My post above is from our IBS ( Illinois Bowhunters Society ) message board. I just wanted to share some info about our hunt down in your area, with all of you. It is one of the reasons I follow this board, to know a little more about what is going on down in the area. That & Bob is a good IBS member and I want to support his very nice site too. ;)
We will be hunting at Sahara Woods State park, which is east of Marion about 15 mile, just off of route 13. We will be using the community building at Carrier Mills, which the town nicely donates to us for a gathering & eating place. The Kids will be staying at a hotel in Harrisburg. Us guides will be staying at the Little Lusk Trail Lodge. If any of you are close by & want to stop by & see what this is all about, say HI, or help out in any way, just let me know.
I will not have computer access after Thurs Morn, BUT I bet I can get Flatlander to keep an eye on this post & give any updates as we go on with the hunt. Flatlander came by about every days last year & helps us out, since he is a local from that area. ;)
I am about 3 hours north of that area & look forward to being down in the southern part of the state again. I went to SIU, in Carbondale, BUT that was way back in the late 80's.
I will post pics & stories here too, next week. ;)

DetectDave
10-24-2007, 04:30
Sounds like a very worthy event. Thank you for what you are doing for these young ones. If you could give us just a hair more heads up, I'm sure more of us would love to lend a hand.

flatlander
10-24-2007, 15:42
Lynn
I'll be playing pizza delivery boy again Thur (10/25) but dont know how much I will be able to make it out this year with the kids home and mom working 12 hour shifts.

LYNN
10-24-2007, 17:08
Duane
You are a slave driver. Making the wife work 12 hour shifts. :D
How do I get my wife a job like that. :cool:
Bring the boys by for a visit too . There will be lots of kids there again this year I am sure.
I am riding down with Alex tomorrow, so we will talk to you then.
Pizza sounds good too. ;)
Thanks

We will also be raffling off a Lone Wolf, Assault tree stand, if anyone wants to come by & buy some tickets. Retail $$$ on the Assault is $189. All profits from the raffle go towards the Dream Hunt.
IBS & Lone Wolf are donating the stand.

Dave
We are in pretty good shape as far as helpers this year. We can always use financial support to help put on the hunt, if someone wishes too. The more money we raise the better hunt we can put on for the kids. If anyone would like to lend a hand this year or in the future, just let me know & we will get something figured out. ;)
Any help will just make a better hunt for the kids. That is what it is all about ! :)

flatlander
10-24-2007, 17:23
Is this the same LW stand I bought tickets for a few months ago ?

If not someone seems to have an abundance of LW stands.

How much are the tickets and when is the drawing, Sun ?

LYNN
10-24-2007, 22:01
Yes same type of stand. IBS bought 3 from Lone Wolf at a special price.
We will probably raffle the other stand at the Deer Classic.
I think we will sell tickets again for $5 or 3 for $10.

flatlander
10-29-2007, 18:49
Lynn

Waiting for an update ?

Got a e-mail from Jim he said 14 deer were killed.

Anyone have to go for a swim this year ? :D